Rss Feed
  1. So, in my very first post, I wrote about how I only ate meat if it was wild game. And that was true. It was true for many years...and then I got pregnant. Let me tell you, this little girl does not appear to be a vegetarian. At about week 6 the cravings began. And not just for meat in general. As my husband said, "You didn't go to grass-fed beef. You went straight to the bottom of the barrel."

    It's true. I made Jonathan go to the hardware store that had the hotdog stand in front. For a 4-day period after my morning sickness had just started, the only thing that would make me feel better was Campbell's Chunky Sirloin Burger soup. That's the kind with the miniature hamburgers in it. As a kid I used to eat it and the hamburgers even had tiny black lines that were supposed to look like miniature grill markings. Thankfully they have done away with those.

    I've had a reuben kick, a gyro kick and a buffalo wing kick. Before becoming pregnant, I had quite a sweet tooth. I even looked forward to being pregnant partially so that I would have an excuse to eat as much ice cream as I wanted. Alas, I have not craved ice cream at all. My only real cravings have been for pickles and crappy meat.

    In the beginning I felt so sick that I just threw my hands up and resigned myself to eating whatever my body craved. I'm not sure yet what I'll do once I have the baby. I had been quite committed to my wild-game-only eating ways before I got pregnant. I would like to say that I'll go back, or at least avoid canned beef, but only time will tell.

  2. 2 comments:

    1. sca said...

      That is so funny! I had a serious meat craving as well. Last year after eating all sorts of great-for-me food, fresh from my CSA, after I got pregnant, I told my husband "I don't want anything fresh". I didn't eat salad or just about any veggies for months, and ate all sorts of awful processed stuff like ABC's & 123's and hotdogs.

    2. Rachel said...

      Yes, I wanted spaghetti-O's! I got the Annie's organic Arthur-O's, but it really wasn't the same :) I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    Post a Comment