Rss Feed
  1. This recent post from the Healthy Child Healthy World blog (a fabulous blog which I highly recommend, by the way) reminded me of my guidelines for more responsible consumption. Basically, the post mentioned a recent study linking pesticides on produce to ADHD. Janelle Sorensen, the blog's author, went on to explain that some people were so concerned about the study results that they were not feeding their kids fresh produce at all. Sorensen shares her opinion that issues like this cannot be dealt with in a black and white only manner. Sure, if you can feed your family organic produce, that's great, but if not, feeding them fresh fruits and veggies is still great and better than no fruits and veggies at all. Use your heads, people! Sorensen was much more polite than me in her plea to parents.

    It's true that all of the issues you hear about surrounding our choices as consumers can be overwhelming. It can be difficult to know what to believe and where to begin. A few years ago I came up with 5 guidelines that I think are helpful in making choices about what to buy and use. They are all pretty simple, but I still think they can be helpful, especially if you're just starting to look more critically at your own consumption habits.

    So, Rule #1 is to Be Informed! I told you, these are pretty simple. Being informed means getting information, not from marketers, but from independent, science-based resources. It also is a reminder that you have the right to be informed. If you can't get an ingredient list, why not? Also, think critically about the information that you receive, and beware of greenwashing. We all feel warm and fuzzy when we see that something is labeled as "all natural." Well, arsenic is all natural. That doesn't mean it's good for you.

    I've mentioned several of the resources that I go to for information on this blog before, and I'll keep sharing more. Please let me know if you have any go-to resources for learning more about the products you purchase. Oh, and Rules #2-#5 will be on their way soon!

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment